22 November, 2010

giving thanks is easy to do..

It must be Autumn, and I must have a lot of American friends, because it's thanksgiving season yo! I celebrated my first proper thanksgiving this past weekend, with the whole shabang...turkey, stuffing, candied yams, mashed potatoes, gravy and finished with my favourite in the whole wide world pumpkin pie! This actually sounds a lot like Christmas dinner in my house (minus the candied yams).

Enjoying time in the company of friends and family, eating good food and sharing reasons for being thankful are things to celebrate and this couldn't be a more perfect time for me to share my thankfuls with ya'll..


but first things first - here's me getting busy on a turkey leg.



These are the things that I am thankful for...
  • All the small things that make me smile. I don’t acknowledge or notice these enough. Fantastic sunny days that are becoming so rare! A student extending his English vocabulary to say “Maire Sensei, you are elegant”! The greatest pleasure that the smallest of flowers can bring, especially flowers received. Cute, random, surprise messages left on my facebook or on skype, my song being played when I least expect it, hugs – when I least expect them, the deliciousness of a small cheesecake...
  • My fantastic friends. Ya'll are fantastic. Nuff said.
  • The cooler weather. It is finally here and I can start having great hair days again.
  • My iphone. yup.
  • That it's November and I get to go home next month! (Thanks Ma and Pa!)
  • This month was what it was, so I can move on, learn from my mistakes and become a better me.
So on a related but unrelated note I made pumpkin pie! It wasn't for said thanksgiving dinner but for a friends baby shower the week before...this is how it all went down..

this is it..
Probably over it already.


In lieu of cooking spray I took it way back old school with the ol' rub some butter around the pan and then sprinkle with flour...


Something about cooking in Japan makes things 100x more difficult and I make 100x more mess then necessary..

Wizz this shit up...



and viola!!




I forgot to take a pic after it was cooked but it was delish! Well kinda, not my best pumpkin pie by any standard, but passable. And before you say anything yes I cheated, I used brought pastry...don't judge me.

So let's be thankful for all the fantastic in our lives, and let the less fantastic become background noise until it eventually fades into silence.


Loves
Peaces
Thankfuls
BOOMS.

No comments:

Post a Comment